Sunday, November 23, 2008

Storytelling in Long Term Care Facilities

from Novice to Expert:

This article really resonated with me. I truly believe in the value of
storytelling and if stories carried actual physical weight, I would
weigh a lot more than I did when I first started in nursing because of
the patients' stories I carry with me.

This article from Provider Magazine, Creative Tasks Spark Imagination,
outlines three techniques used in a long term care facility for
residents along the continuum of memory impairments (from none to
late-stage Alzheimer's or dementia). The first technique is based on Timeslips, which promotes social interaction. It helps to reduce the isolation that many persons with dementia may experience.

The second technique involves storyboarding which can be done by the resident or by the family, if the resident is not able to participate. Upon completion of the storyboard, a celebration is held to celebrate the individual's life.

In the third technique, individuals write their life stories in a 6-10 week storytelling workshop.

No comments: