Tuesday, June 9, 2009

PhilosopherCrip

 

Sentencing Statements by 38 ADAPT defendants, in front of Judge Keary, DC Superior Court, Washington, DC on May 20, 2009, in the case of United States of America v. Pamela Aver, et. al., Docket #2009-CDC-10565, et. al., following a guilty plea to unlawful assembly, and failure to obey a lawful order, for a protest at the United States Capitol on April 28, 2009:

Lantonya Reeves says: My physical disability is cerebral palsy & legal blindness. I had to move from Tennessee to Colorado because I needed attendant services & support. I had to leave my family & friends so I didn’t end up in a nursing home. I was at the Action at the Capitol because I was advocating for the COMMUNITY CHOICE ACT. This legislation will cover all the states so that disabled people will not have to be institutionalized in nursing homes. …Over a hundred ADAPT members [were] arrested. This is because we, ADAPT strongly believe that people in nursing homes should have the right to choose where they live. –

Technorati Tags: ,

PhilosopherCrip

No comments: