Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Not Dead Yet News & Commentary: Terrie Lincoln: "How I DIDN'T Die" ( part 1)

Not Dead Yet

Image via Wikipedia

 

Posted on June 16, 2009

By Terrie Lincoln, Systems Advocate

For several months, I’ve been polishing the story of my recovery from the accident that brought me into the world of disability. Until recently, I hadn’t talked much about this period of my life. The memories can still make me angry. The anger isn’t about my disability, though. The anger is about the doctors that didn’t think I would have a life worth living – and how hard my family had to fight to make sure I received the treatment I needed to survive…….

The full story is well worth reading. I have heard similar stories from other people with severe disabilities.  Another example of the same kind of medical thinking can occur

when a person with a significant disability goes into a hospital for elective surgery. The person is pestered on every shift to sign a DNR order.

 

Not Dead Yet News & Commentary: Terrie Lincoln: "How I DIDN'T Die" ( part 1)

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: