In the Near Term:
- In 90 days, a temporary high risk pool for people with pre-existing conditions. High risk pools only work for people with chronic conditions if the premiums are controlled. Otherwise, the premiums tend to drift up and make the pool not affordable.
- Parents can cover their kids up to age 26. I think, but am not sure, this adds a year and broadens already existing practice for some carriers.
- No more life time limits on dollars of coverage.
- Better coverage of preventive services
- Better monitoring of carrier use of funds, and better investigation of big rate increases
- Medicare Donut hole rebate for the near term, and elimination of the donut hole by 2020
- Expanded Medicare coverage for people exposed to an environmental emergencies
- Improved care coordination for people who receive both Medicare and Medicaid
- A 10% tax on tanning services(!)
- Section 2402 and what follows seem to allow home and community based services in a waiver to easily use 300% of SSI as the income limit. This would broaden eligibility for waiver services in many waivers.
- An interesting project on shared medical decision making
"With Liberty and Access for All!"
MDRC Website: http://www.copower.org/
LTC Blog: http://ltcreform.blogspot.com/