Wednesday, December 2, 2009

People like me -- chicagotribune.com

 

Last year, I was rushed to the hospital after a severe gastrointestinal infection became septicemia. I was unconscious, inches away from death, but before the doctors would perform their magic they asked my wife, "Are you sure you want us to do this?"
Actually, they said, "Is he full code?" but it meant the same thing.
To my wife, it was clear their uncertainty was due to my physical disabilities. I was born 47 years ago with a congenital neuromuscular delight called spinal muscular atrophy. I've never walked or stood and have very limited use of my hands.
Was my life worth prolonging? Should the hospital provide me with the same measure of medical intervention it would anyone else?
Please! Don't hold my rag-doll body against me!……

BuzzNet Tags: ,

People like me -- chicagotribune.com

No comments: