Saturday, June 16, 2007

What to do about Health Care?

What to do about Health Care? (Michael Goodfellow, May 29, 2007)


Charles asked me to write something about the health care system in the U.S., but before I do that, I should add a few words about my own situation. The opinions below could be read as a rant by some overpaid techie who has never been sick a day in his life. Sadly, that is not the case. I sustained a spinal chord injury at age 7, and have spent the rest of my life in a wheelchair. Long-term paralysis leads to other complications, and so I now have multiple serious conditions. I have seen more than my share of the health care system.

Working in the computer industry, I always had health insurance, first as an employee (even of a 4-person startup company), then as an independent contractor. In the 10 years I did contract work, I saw my insurance payments go from $200 a month to $800 a month. Two months ago, I was hit with an increase to $1000 a month. Due to further declines in my health, I decided to go on Social Security Disability. Medicare starts only after a two year wait, which ends in July. So I’m about to experience the joys of government health care, like it or not.

No comments: